Sunday, April 26, 2009

Teaching our Children

Last week, I was at a friend's place, playing with her 18 month old daughter.  "Ellen" has reached the age where everything is a phone and talking into the remote control, doll, bottle, barrette, or matchbox car is hysterically funny.  I was playing with Ellen, talking into the matchbox car and saying "It's for you," etc. Then, because I was on a roll and she thought I was the funniest thing ever (smart kid), I decided to take it to the next level.  This is where it got tricky.  I said "ring, ring....Ellen, it is for you," when it occurred to me: does "ring, ring" even mean anything anymore?  There is no longer really  a "traditional" ringtone.  My ringtone on my phone is the opening riff from "How Soon Is Now?"  I figured she didn't know that one yet.  That said, I made several CDs for her mom so that Ellen grows up knowing what good music is.  "How Soon Is Now?" is on the CD, so she'll learn it eventually.  But still, not really a traditional ringtone.  So, I asked around and listened to other people's ringtones.  Someone I know has the themesong to the Muppet Show.  My sister is desperately trying to find the theme from Barney Miller (please post the song if you know where to find it - I've searched, but can't find a way to download it - only listen to it).  The ringtones that come standard on other phones include something that sounds like a bicycle bell, weird polyphonic tones, a latin samba, but nothing that sounds like "ring, ring."  This is not a nostalgic learning for the old days of sewing circles, rotary phones and Dwight D Eisenhower.  I don't sew, I like modernity and have no desire to look backwards. But, for those of you that have kids, really, I want to know - how does it work. Do you say "ring, ring?"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment