Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Favorite Songs

Inevitably on Facebook or with friends over a few drinks, someone asks the question - "what are your three favorite songs?"  I hate this question.  I never have understood how anyone can answer this question.  For me - it depends.  Maybe it is because I love so many kinds of music.  Or, maybe it is because I was an economics major and I learned that the answer is always it depends.  Music affects me.  It can lift my spirits, make my spidey-senses tingle or be a warm blanket (like a snuggie, only less stupid) on a cold night.  So, it depends.  Mostly on my mood, but it depends on a lot of things.  But, here we go - my list of my favorite songs.  The caveat is, of course, that it depends.  This could all change tomorrow.  Even with all the categories, I still went back and forth several times.  How could I leave out The Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated" or Aimee Mann's "Red Vines?"  Never mind - I'll update the list later - here it is.  My three favorite songs (for now):

For when I want to wallow in my melancholy
- Tom Waits "I Think I Just Fell in Love with You"
- Beth Orton's cover of "Ooh Child"
- Elvis Costello "Almost Blue"

For when I am feeling defiant
- Cake "Nugget"
- Ted Leo "Where Have All The Rude Boys Gone"
- Liz Phair "Never Said"

For when I am feeling anxious and insecure
- Ani DiFranco "32 Flavors"
- Melissa Ferrick "Everything I Need"
- Dixie Chicks "Long Way Around" (you didn't see that coming, did you)

For when I am feeling sassy
- Bob Schneider "Boom Boom Baby"
- Missy Elliot "Bring the Pain"
- Me'Shell Ndegeocello "If That's Your Boyfriend (He Wasn't Last Night)"

For when I am feeling cheery and bouncy
- Duran Duran "Taste The Summer"
- Scissor Sisters "Take Your Mama"
- Jamiroquai "Canned Heat"

For when I need a cathartic cry
- Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt"
- Dusty Springfield "I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself"
- Jeff Buckley cover of "Hallelujah"

For a lazy Sunday
- Nina Simone "Put a Little Sugar in My Bowl"
- Wilco "Kamera"
- Deathcab for Cutie "Your Heart Is An Empty Room"

For when I am feeling energized
- LCD Soundsystem "Daft Punk Is Playing at My House"
- Jet "Are You Gonna Be My Girl"
- David Bowie "Suffragette City"

If anyone is reading this... what are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment